How did we go from black virgin to the white virgin ?? Nowadays, the saint virgin is worshiped white when in reality she is black: whitening of history.
In very remote times, the color black referred to favorable and positive, beneficial and regenerating symbols, as evidenced by the iconography of the Gallo-Roman goddesses with a tanned complexion who were venerated in underground crypts for their specific powers linked to fertility and childbirth.
Black was assimilated to the chtonian universe, to the primordial uterus. It referred to what was invisible, to what was not yet concrete and was to be born, in virginal state, to what was to be fertilized, to the seed which springs from the earth and waits to germinate.
- Some have attributed the paternity of black virgins to a Christian religious movement, but the truth is quite different.
- The worship of black Virgins is indeed much older, since it descends from the worship of mother goddesses.
- The Great Mother was represented in cultic and symbolic material by a black stone, which confirms the ritual and symbolic values of this color.
- The black virgin, considered as a spark of life in the darkness of the cosmic night, was a digest of opposites and contradictions, even going so far as to explain death as a future rebirth.
- The Black Virgins were therefore the mysterious holders of a very old initiatory message.